Lately, it seems going to the gym is a fad or trend. It’s a great one but there is a lot of pressure socially to be seen at the gym. Annoying but true. However, social pressures and expectations aside, I’ve been trying to be more consistent with going to the gym or just being active. The more active I am, the better my joints work (see Dr. B, I was listening!).
Over the past few months, I’ve tried to be more consistent. My goal is to workout three times a week for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes, life gets in the way (or I just can’t be bothered) and some weeks I don’t go at all. However, there are a few things that I’ve found to keep me motivated to going to the gym or just being more active in general.
- Friends. I’ve found that there are few things I hate more than working out alone. My sister and I go together and it’s a lot more fun, even though we don’t do the same workouts. It’s also harder to back out when she is ready and waiting.
- Music. I love music anyway but working out to a good Hip-Hop/R&B song really gets me pumped for my workouts. I have an entire playlist on my phone of songs I like to workout too. Trust me, a good rhythm makes it easier to get pumped up. I use songs to determine my pace. One song, I increase my pace, the next, recover.
- Scheduling. I am a huge scheduler/planner and it took a little trial and error to find a time that worked best for my sister and I. We used to get up at 4:30 every morning because that’s the only time that worked for us. We’ve recently switched gyms and now go in the evenings which seems to be working out really well; plus I feel like I’m getting more sleep. If we can’t get to the gym, we take our dogs for a walk.
- Fashion. This sounds so cliché but if I have cute gym clothes, I feel more confident and want to show them off. I’m all about function over fashion but if I don’t like my yoga pants or my sports bra doesn’t fit well, I’m not going to put them on and go sweat it out of the elliptical for 30 minutes.
- Variety. How boring is it to go the gym and always do the same things? I love change so coming up with different workouts or ways to get more exercise is key for me. Some days I’ll skip the gym and take my dogs for a walk. Some times I’ll skip the elliptical and do the treadmill and some strength training. Keep it fun and you’ll be more inclined to follow through.
How do you stay motivated to go to the gym or workout?